Why 3D printing is bad? Will 3D printing fail?
Will 3D printers change the world as we know it? The 3D printing industry is one of the hottest worldwide trends, especially today when printing at home is possible with affordable home 3-D printers. There is obviously amazing 3D printing Advantages, but there are Disadvantages as well.
While people all around the world began using 3D printing techniques to print almost anything starting with spare parts, toys, footwear and even healthcare instruments and blood vessels, weapons, firearms and other hazardous crafts are being produced by 3D printers.
Like any new revolutionary hot trend it’s important to analyze and consider the dark side of the 3D printing market disadvantages. A good allegory can be found when comparing the new emerging 3D printing world to the internet. The internet unleashed unbelievable endless freedom to search and explore for data online. The internet is already one the most elementary and basic environments for each and every one of us, but it can also be misused to hurt people (Racism, Sexism, trolling, Adult industry, etc.)
Like the Internet, anyone can buy his Home 3D Printer and use it in negative manners. As described in the top 3D printing disadvantages below, regulations & clear policies must be supervised else it might hurt us all.
3D printing Disadvantages
- 3D Black Market: one of the natural disadvantages & side effects of the growing 3D printing industry will be black market of spare parts, generic versions or fake brands and entire niches that will be boosted with copied items and crafts that will harm product quality, pricing, authenticity and demand.
- Misuse and Mischief: 3D printing industry can also produce products and designs that may hurt personal and groups (Adult industry, racism and sexism for example), extremist groups can take advantage of the endless possibilities that the 3D industry offers and use it against innocents. Buying Home 3D printer in affordable cost, scanning weapons designs and producing your own arsenal is easy!
- Copyright Violation: of 3D printed designs, 3-D prototypes, patents and brands. Since the 3D printing market is in its relatively early days there are no clear policies and supervision. Clear disadvantage is that the 3-D printing markets is still breached and expose, easy to buy 3D printer designs and print them at home violating copyrights and brand name products.
- Printing Weapons and Firearms: one of the main disadvantages is printing of dangerous crafts is easier with 3D printing technology. Spreading “license free” weapons such as guns, knives, clubs and magazines is only matter of time. Any 3D printer that can print metal or solid polymers can serve criminals in manufacturing their own weapon arsenal. Real evidences and case studies already presented few examples of crafts and tools with the ability to cause serious damage produced by simply scanning & printing weapons using home 3D printer.
- Fraud & Scam: 3D printing can be used to scan and duplicate credit cards, ID’s, car keys and other private crafts. The obvious disadvantage in the 3D printing world is that it is already serving criminals and fraud activities. Recent researches presented real stories from the war in drugs field, were a fully equipped pharmaceutical lab have been printed – imagine this lab being used by criminals distributing drugs. In other case published by Germany Police – 3D printed keys were duplicated to release criminal from handcuffs. In other case – company specializing in selling 3D home printers stated that they blocked a request by customer who wanted to print a design of an ATM machine device.
Will 3D printing change the world? Click here to read about 3D printing Advantages